Basic Vanilla Sponge Recipe (with egg)
This is by far my most favorite sponge cake recipe. It is so delicious you can just eat it by itself without any frosting.
But you can also frost it with ganache buttercream or Whipped cream or fill it with fruit to make a delicious gateau.
The key points to remember in making this recipe are:
- Make sure eggs are at room temperature
- The egg whites and yolks should be separated and there should not be any trace of yolk in the whites
- The whisking bowl and blades should be squeaky clean and bone dry.
- 6 eggs separated into yolks and whites
- 200g castor sugar
- 180 g All purpose flour or maida
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp melted butter unsalted
- 1/2 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
- Preheat your oven to 170°C
- Line an 8″ tin on the bottom with parchment paper. Do not grease and flour the sides of the tin. This is so the sponge has something to cling to as it rises otherwise it will sink in the center
- Sift the flour and salt and keep aside
- Divide the sugar in two different bowls equally.
- Start beating the egg whites. When they get foamy, start adding sugar from one of the bowls. Add sugar slowly, a teaspoon at a time while continuously beating the egg whites.
- Keep beating the egg whites till you have a stiff meringue.
- Set the meringue aside.
- Now beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar. Add vanilla and continue beating. The yolks should double in size and have a light yellow color.
- Add the meringue to the beaten egg yolks in 3 parts. Use cut and fold method to gently fold in the whites into the yolks.
- Add the flour to the batter in three parts. Each time fold it in carefully.
- At the very end, Add the melted butter and fold it in.
- Pur the batter into the prepared cake tin and tap the tin on a countertop a few times to release any large bubbles.
- Finally place the tin in the oven and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- For best results wrap the cake in cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Do make the recipe and let me know how it worked for you!
Helll Ma’am, I made this cake. Seriously the best ever. Loved it.
So so thankful to you for sharing a professional recipe. Thankyou from bottom of my heart. Kindly share chocolate Version recipe too.